ww.Gotik-Romanik.de


St Michael's Church, Stewkley
 

 

Click on photos for larger size.

Postcard, on stevebulman.f9.co uk.jpg
Postcard,
on stevebulman.f9.co.uk

 

Photo by  fencer_js on Panoramio.jpg
Photo by fencer_js
on Panoramio

 

Photo by Eric Hardy on flickr.jpg
Photo by Eric Hardy
on Flickr

 

Photo 4 by von R P Marks on Flickr.jpg
Photo by von R P Marks
on Flickr

 

 

 

     
Photo 2 by Oxfordshire Churches on Flickr.jpg
Photo by Oxfordshire Churches
on Flickr

 

Photo 2 by Eric Hardy on flickr.jpg
Photo by Eric Hardy
on flickr

 

Photo 3 by Eric Hardy on flickr.jpg
Photo by Eric Hardy
 on flickr

 

Photo 3 by vonEric Hardy on Flickr, large version.jpg
Photo by Eric Hardy on Flickr,
 large version

 

 

 

     
Photo 4 by Eric Hardy on flickr.jpg
Photo by Eric Hardy
on flickr

 

Photo 2 by von R P Marks on Flickr.jpg
Photo by von R P Marks
on Flickr

 

Photo 3 by von R P Marks on Flickr.jpg
Photo by von R P Marks
 on Flickr

 

Photo by Oxfordshire Churches on Flickr, s.jpg
Photo by Oxfordshire Churches
on Flickr

 

 

 

     
 
 

 

Stewkley, photo by Thorskegga Thorn on flickr

 

 

Stewkley, photo by Thorskegga Thorn on flickr

 

 

Stewkley, photo by Thorskegga Thorn on flickr

 

 

Stewkley, photo by Michael Brace on flickr

 

 

Stewkley, photo by Michael Brace on flickr

 

 

Stewkley, photo by Roger Marks on flickr

 

Link > www.british-history.ac.uk

Link > Flickr images tagged church Stewkley

 

______________________________________________________

 

Link > http://www.british-history.ac.uk

 

 
Plan on british-history.ac.uk

 


The church of ST. MICHAEL (fn. 156) consists of a chancel 19 ft. 6 in. by 18 ft. 9 in., south vestry, central tower 19 ft. 6 in. by 18 ft. 6 in., nave 47 ft. 6 in. by 21 ft. 9 in., and a south porch.
The building, which dates from the middle of the 12th century, is a particularly well-preserved example of the best style of architecture of that time, the few alterations which have been made having affected the original detail to a very slight extent. The parapet of the tower with the pinnacles at the angles was added late in the 15th century. A gallery was erected in the tower about 1621, but this was removed in 1833, while in 1684 the roofs of the chancel and nave were lowered and made flat. At some date near 1707 a porch was added on the south side, but was replaced by the present porch in 1867. The church was repaired in 1844, and the stone shell of the vaulting of the chancel was replaced by the present brick-work and plastered. There was a complete restoration in 1862, a steeple which had been added to the tower being removed, while the roofs of the chancel and nave were restored to their original pitch, the stucco removed from the east and west walls, and some brick buttresses which had been added in 1844 were replaced by buttresses of stone. The south vestry, and the passage to the south door of the chancel, were added in 1910. (fn. 157)
The walls are of stone rubble with ashlar dressings, the north and south sides and the tower being coated with Roman cement. The roofs are covered with tiles. From: 'Parishes: Stewkley', A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 3 (1925), pp. 420-426. Source: www.british-history.ac.uk. Date accessed: 12 June 2009.

 

 

return to > www.Gotik-Romanik.de < back

 

www.besucherzaehler-homepage.de/